Well I have been tagged by some very kind bloggers, namely Missy and Jasyla, to do this Liebster Award thingy. I, like Jeromai, am usually the grumpy old fart who refuses to participate in such shenanigans, but I can’t really burn that bridge until I’ve done it at least once, right? I’ll shake my walking stick at you next year!
So apparently I have to share 11 facts about myself, answer the questions posed by my sponsors, and create 11 questions to ask some other bloggers.
When I was a tween, I really wanted to have Jon Bon Jovi’s hairstyle. I will take cold weather over hot weather any day. I love dark, cool colours, deep blue, purple and green are my favourites. I am a dog person, not a cat person. I first read LotR when I was 11. I have been single for over a decade. I once saw a cat get run over by a 4WD and I can still remember the sound of snapping bones. I can drive, but haven’t had a car in years. I have my own spiritual belief system that I have cobbled together over the years. I like fish – usually battered and fried, but also sushi – but hate pretty much all other seafood. I dream every night, and I remember most of them.
1. (Missy) What is your favourite game? (Jasyla) What’s the last song you listened to?
My favourite game is impossible to say, it changes over time. But I would say that the Civilisation series has been a staple of my gaming life, and I would probably choose one of those if I was only allowed one game.
I have to admit I cheated here, and listened to my favourite song just so I could list it here. Tool – Lateralus. I’ve embedded it at the end. Before that, would be…Celtic Woman – The Voice.
2. (Missy) Who is your favourite blogger? (Jasyla) When you were 10, what did you want to be when you grew up?
Garrosh Hellscream is my favourite blogger. I HIGHLY encourage anyone who has played WoW for any length of time to check his blog out. It is incredibly entertaining!
I don’t remember exactly what I wanted to be when I was 10, but apparently when I was little I was determined to play cricket for Australia. So, given that I was super into tennis when I was 10, I probably had dreams of being the next Pat Cash and winning a Grand Slam.
3. (Missy) Which blogger would you like to meet in real life and why? (Jasyla) If you could live in any fictional world (from a game, book, movie, whatever) which would it be?
I’d love to meet Mataoka, she is my closest blogger friend and I hear that she is a great talker, which is perfect as I am a great listener!
I’m torn between wanting to live in a world where magic is not rare, if not commonplace, and a sci-fi world like David Brin’s Uplift series. I honestly don’t think I’d be able to cope in a fantasy-medieval setting, so it’s really only the prospect of magic that attracts me.
4. (M) If you could have one superpower, what would it be and why? (J) Stark, Lannister, Targaryen, Baratheon, or Baelish?
I would definitely have the teleport superpower. So handy for everything!
Screw Baelish, I will never be part of House Creeper. I do like Winter, so Stark is a natural attraction, but for some reason I’ve always had a soft spot for Baratheon.
5. (M) PC or console? (J) Sci-fi or fantasy?
PC all the way. I am rather put out by the fact that some awesome games are console exclusive (Last of Us, for example).
Fantasy was my first love, but I think sci-fi offers a broader range of settings, themes and ideas. If you read nothing but fantasy, it all tends to blend together somewhat. I do like to alternate between fantasy and sci-fi, just to keep things fresh.
6. (M) Do you like to be the centre of attention, or blend into the crowd? (J) Do you finish most videogames you play (if they have endings)?
I hate being the centre of attention. Hate it.
Up until last year, I had a very strict policy of finishing every game I started, even if I didn’t really like it. But after starting the Steam Challenge to clear my backlog, I have been less tolerant of issues that prevent me from enjoying games, and so I have been much more ruthless in abandoning them after an hour or so. I don’t like having more than one “main” game on the go at once, though, so I finish one before I’ll start another.
7. (M) What would make you blush/make you embarrassed? (J) If you had a superpower, what would it be?
The best way to embarrass me is to publicly single me out for praise, especially amongst people I don’t know well. Like, I’m pleased to be acknowledged, but I hate the attention.
8. (M) Weapon of choice under a zombie apocalypse? (J) What is the airspeed velocity of an unladen swallow?
I would most likely have a cricket bat or golf club.
9. (M) Why do you blog? (J) What food could you eat every day and never get sick of?
I don’t really know. To have some record of my existence somewhere?
I think I could eat cheese every day and never get sick of it. Then again, apparently cheese contains opioids so that might explain it.
10. (M) What is the thing you like most about yourself? (J) What videogame character do you most identify with?
I like to think that I am perceptive and have good critical thinking skills. Mostly I’m just happy that I avoid actively being an arsehole to anyone.
I know this is trite, but the character I most identify with is Dahakha, my WoW druid. Because I created him and have so much invested in him.
11. (M) Why is the sky blue? (J) In order to complete a quest would you rather use might, cunning, or magic?
Are you sure it’s not white and gold?
I would rather use magic. Because, well, I want to use magic.
Okay so I have to tag a few people to answer my highly insightful questions below. The winners are:
- Mataoka from Sugar & Blood
- Tome from Tome of the Ancient
- Stubborn from Sheep The Diamond
- Navimie from The Daily Frostwolf – Druid Edition
- Neri from Mama Needs Mana
- How often do you go out to a restaurant?
- If you could design the next playable race for an MMO (of your choice), what kind of race would it be?
- You have to spend the next year in a different culture. Where would you choose to spend it?
- What kinds of things make you laugh in games?
- Is freedom really free?
- Name a book that was better than the movie, and a movie that was better than the book.
- If you had no access to a computer/tablet/phone for gaming, what would you do instead?
- What is the best pizza topping?
- Do you think raiding is a net positive or a net negative for MMO games?
- Favourite alcoholic (or faux-holic) beverage?
- What is the one feature you would love to see in your game of choice that isn’t currently there?
Have at it!