Well I am back from Tassie, spending time with family and enjoying the much saner summer temperatures that Hobart has compared to Melbourne. I don’t have any mobile gaming options, so the whole trip was game-free, which means I have a lot to catch up on!
While it started off well, 2014 turned out to be the lowest point in my life to date, and honestly I was not expecting to make it to the new year. So that means I am not really sure what to do with myself, and even writing a post like this feels odd. Looking forward, making plans, and setting goals for the year is something that is messing with my head – I undoubtedly have been thinking about them, and I intend to pursue them, but at the same time it kind of feels…pointless? Nevertheless, here are some general thoughts on my year to come.
- I want to settle the question of where I stand with MMOs this year. Like Navimie, I am pretty committed to a game once I get into it, so I like establishing myself with friends and getting as much out of it as possible. But, like Syp, I am also continually drawn to new experiences in other MMOs, and would love to check out at least half a dozen games that are already released or will be decently playable this year. I’m not sure that I’ll be able to have it all, though, so I need to figure out how I’m going to come down. All I know for sure at this stage is, I’ll continue to play and adore The Secret World, mostly as a solo experience.
- I’ll be working on my Steam Challenge backlog some more. I was satisfied with the progress I made last year, given that I only started halfway through. This year, though, I want to make sure I get through some of the “bigger” games in my library – games like the Mass Effect series, L.A. Noire, The Witcher series, The Walking Dead, Borderlands, Deus Ex, Bioshock 2, and so on.
- Since I still have such a huge backlog to clear out, I aim to spend as little as possible buying new games this year. I managed to avoid buying anything in the last two Steam holiday sales, and although there are a good number of games that I desperately want to play, the good news is that they are almost all too much for my current rig. I don’t think there is much, if anything, new that I can play that fits my computer specs so it makes resisting the lure of new games a lot easier.
- That said, I would like to put together a new gaming rig this year. My current computer is 5+ years old now, and it was only a cheap mid-range setup when new. I’m not even confident that I can play those “bigger” games in my backlog, despite them being several years old themselves. So it all depends on how soon I can save up enough to upgrade.
- I stated this at the start of last year too, but I never ended up doing it: I intend to pick up my WoW fanfic project that I was doing with Akabeko. Since she is no longer blogging, I may have to move or copy all the chapters to this blog for safekeeping. Plus, it would be easier to navigate.
- I’m still not really comfortable with blogging. I hope to find my voice a little better this year.
- Maybe I’ll start putting music video clips at the end of each post, trying to be topical or whatnot. Because I can.
So…come along with me into 2015.